Well,
I had my second kiting session today and my first self rescue! I was
getting in closer and checking out the waves, riding the tail end of
a few just sort of watching where and how they broke when I found the
reef. Grrggh, Grrrggh. No harm done I thought, just like yesterday.
Until I went for my next turn and the board just slipped out from
underneath me, whoomp. Flat on my face. Two fins missing and the fin
boxes of one of them ripped. I couldn't hold a line up wind to get
back to where I launched so I had to try and ride the top of a small
wave across the reef and come back in down wind of the launching
beach. Keep in mind here that the break is situated a couple of
hundred meters off the south-west corner of the Island with an
offshore wind; to both directions of the shore line. So the wind was
only going to blow me out to sea.
Anyway,
I managed to get enough of an edge on the board to kite towards the
shore, downwind of my starting point, but to the shore at least. The
problem with this was always going to be that when I got close to
this part of the shore line I also got closer to the wind shadow
created by the tree's and and hotels downwind of the kiting beach.
Naturally when I hit the wind shadow my kite dropped. From here it
was just a simple matter of standing up on the reef, pulling my kite
in, deflating the leading edge, rolling it up and sitting it on the
board, winding the lines and paddling/walking it in the last hundred
meters or so. I always wonder about what type of poisonous creatures
live in reefs, particularly when I find myself needing to stand on
them. By the same token, having a surfboard rather then a twin tip
makes dragging it all in to shore a lot easier and the leg rope meant
I didn’t have to worry about the board floating off while my
attention was on the kite. All in all, a good little exercise.
Apparently there is wind forecast for tomorrow morning and then
nothing for the next couple of days. So I'll go out on the two fins
that I can put in the board and then see about getting it repaired in
the next days. Any maybe finally climb that mountain I have been
looking at. Man, you've got to see the scenery here form the water,
it's pretty spectacular. I'll get some pictures from the gopro at
some point.
I've
managed to get rides so far either on the bus or from people pulling
over and giving me a ride. But the ride home was the best yet today!
I Mauritian guy beside a bus stopped me to talk about surfing; he was
wanting to get into it. I met came around the other side of the bus
and met his family, all thirty of them, had some rum and a big plate
of Biryani. Chatted,
played some drums badly then got a ride home on the bus with them
all. Where the played the dgembe and sung songs all the way to my place. Sweet. I've got to remember
to take my camera with me to get some pictures of this stuff
No comments:
Post a Comment